Saturday, June 7, 2014

Bluebird Trail Thanks to Volunteers !


June 6 Email:

Ric,

I wanted to send you an update on our nest box monitoring project at the wastewater.  First, thank you to everyone who has volunteered so far and an extra thank you to Bob Wygant for coordinating everything.  I hope those who have volunteered were able to enjoy the experience and may volunteer again sometime.  We are nearing the half way mark for the 2014 monitoring season.  I would like to share some numbers with you, feel free to share on your website.  On the White Road Trail (40 boxes):  33 nesting attempts  4 from Eastern bluebirds, 21 from tree swallows, and 8 from house sparrows.  13 Eastern bluebird eggs, 4 young are ready to fledge any day, 82 tree swallow eggs, 10 live young to date, 9 house sparrow eggs have been shaken or holes poked in eggs.  I have attached a few pictures from the trail, please forgive the quality as I am not a photographer but thought people may be interested to see our success.  Overall, I feel this year has seen improved success.  We have fewer predator attacks but I am noticing house sparrow issues with holes being pecked in some of the tree swallow eggs (11 of the 82 eggs).

I also check 12 nest boxes on the LaPres trail.  On this trail I have 27 tree swallow eggs (5 nesting attempts) with 10 live young to date; 14 Eastern bluebird eggs (3 nesting attempts) with 5 lost due to a predator (I believe a snake or rodent as 4 eggs and 1 live young missing from nest with nest in tack).  So far no house sparrow problems on this trail.

Thank you again for your support with this project.  I hope everyone is having a great summer and hope to see you at the wastewater.

Anita Friend